Tuesday, June 14, 2011

THE JONESES



Have u ever bought something only after your co-worker shows it off in the office? Have you ever bought a gadget after seeing it on a TV commercial that had the cutest chicks, or the coolest guy advertising it? Have you ever felt outdated because your phone model has a newer version? If you have, then you are right on point by keeping up with the Joneses. Demi Moore challenges her real life marriage in her portrayal of a nuclear family mom in the film “The Joneses”. This film presents a family who is “just perfect”. The Joneses have it all; from the biggest wedding ring (that diamond was so heavy you can never see it straight on Demi’s finger) to the lawnmower with an integrated TV. This front is pretty steady but when the lights go down the Joneses aren’t all that perfect; the make believe fairy tale turns into an empty department store (along with the eco of an empty warehouse). The love just isn’t there.

This film is about that consumer inside all of us whose cancer grows with each unnecessary purchase, with each credit-card limit reached, a cancer that grows in the form of a chain of new cell phones and useless array of designer handbags. This film calls to us- perpetual of consumerism, slaves of crap hoarding, and aficionados of credit-life styles. This film begs us to put a stop on our chronic shopaholics and smell the family that cries beside us and feel the pain of the neighbor who needs us. The Joneses movie is also a call to protest the abuse that companies have submitted us every time they feel like adding a simple item to their product and selling a “new and improved” version only a month later.

This film is a reminder that life is something more than what we have because let’s face it “keeping up with the Joneses” is a pointless task. We will never be able to catch up to them; if only die in the attempt.

2 comments:

  1. The feeling of this movie is slightly flat when watching because the characters are focused on so much when they are “acting” within the movie (double acting) if you will that the “real” character does not give me enough time to really care about them too much. When I saw that this movie was coming on Showtime I knew I would be too busy to watch right now but I was able to see it when I was on vacation because of my new DISH Network Sling adapter I got for free from DISH http://goo.gl/Qsggz and I use with my employee TV service. It’s nice because not only was it free after rebate but I don’t have any fees to watch my movies and shows anywhere I go, which on vacation I didn’t miss a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice way to advertize your product Bryon,writing about this film serves the purpose :P..

    ReplyDelete